Round One results and Quarterfinal voting
September 17, 2009
We're down to Quarterfinal Round and our final eight for our online Olympia Madness Tournament. Some big names were eliminated in Round One, but some bigger names remain. Once again, our seedings proved correct as all higher-seeded competitors advanced. The biggest landslide? No surprise, as reigning Mr. Olympia and top-seeded Dexter Jackson proved 16s really do have no chance against one seeds, as Jackson annihilated 16th-seeded Troy Alves by earning over 96% of all votes.
The next largest margin of victory belonged to Dennis Wolf. Proving he may not have lost all momentum from last year's semi-disappointing outing, Wolf steamrolled Moe Elmoussawi by earning over 95% of the votes in their matchup.
In the closest matchups, seventh-seeded Branch Warren (72.94%) proved size does matter as he ousted 10th-seeded Silvio Samuel (27.06%), while eighth-seeded Toney Freeman (76.53%) toppled ninth-seeded Melvin Anthony (23.47%).
ROUND ONE RESULTS
(1) Dexter Jackson vs (16) Troy Alves
Dexter Jackson (96.26%)
Troy Alves (3.74%)
(2) Phil Heath vs (15) Markus Ruhl
Phil Heath (90.19%)
Markus Ruhl (9.81%)
(3) Jay Cutler vs (14) Gustavo Badell
Jay Cutler (92.93%)
Gustavo Badell (7.07%)
(4) Kai Greene vs (13) Ronny Rockel
Kai Greene (89.32%)
Ronny Rockel (10.68%)
(5) Dennis Wolf vs (12) Moe Elmoussawi
Dennis Wolf (95.05%)
Moe Elmoussawi (4.95%)
(6) Victor Martinez vs (11) Dennis James
Victor Martinez (85.52%)
Dennis James (14.48%)
(7) Branch Warren vs (10) Silvio Samuel
Branch Warren (72.94%)
Silvio Samuel (27.06%)
(8) Toney Freeman vs (9) Melvin Anthony
Toney Freeman (76.53%)
Melvin Anthony (23.47%)
AND NOW IT GETS INTERESTING
We're guessing there are going to be some upsets in this round, as we move into some head-to-head battles featuring the cream of the crop. All are interesting, but the ones that grab our attention are:
(3) Jay Cutler vs (6) Victor Martinez. Cutler edged past Martinez in 2007 for the second of his two Olympia wins in what many considered to be a controversial decision. The two have not competed against each other since. Each has something to prove.
(4) Kai Greene vs (5) Dennis Wolf. The last time these two New Generation superstars stood on the same stage was the 2007 Keystone Classic, when Wolf won the first contest of his career and Greene placed third. Wolf has placed in the top five of each of his two Olympia appearances (4th in 2008, 5th in 2007). Greene, who won this year's Arnold Classic, will be standing on the Orleans stage for the first time.
Click button to choose match up winner then scroll down to cast your vote.
Click competitor's image to view their profile
(seeds in parenthesis)
FLEXONLINE OLYMPIA COUNTDOWN
JAY CUTLER'S GUIDE TO LAS VEGAS
2009 MR. OLYMPIA: WHERE DOES IT RANK?
OLYMPIA CLASH OF THE TITANS: WARREN VS EL SONBATY
OLYMPIA CLASH OF THE TITANS: FREEMAN VS DILLET
OLYMPIA CLASH OF THE TITANS: WOLF VS SCHLIERKAMP
OLYMPIA CLASH OF THE TITANS: MARTINEZ VS WHEELER
OLYMPIA CLASH OF THE TITANS: GREENE VS. CORMIER
2009 OLYMPIA: WHY I BEAT...
OLYMPIA MADNESS: PLAY-IN ROUND
OLYMPIA CLASH OF THE TITANS: CUTLER VS. YATES
2009 OLYMPIA: WHO WILL STEP UP?
OLYMPIA MADNESS: ROUND ONE
OLYMPIA CLASH OF THE TITANS: JACKSON VS RAY
PHIL HEATH: PHASE V VIDEO
2009 OLYMPIA: WOLF'S REBOUND?
OLYMPIA CLASH OF THE TITANS: HEATH VS LEVRONE
2009 OLYMPIA: CAN MARTINEZ BOUNCE BACK?
OLYMPIA MADNESS: QUARTERFINALS