Jackson started powerlifting after bodybuilding but soon he was triumphing at both. Three weeks before he won the 2001 NPC Nationals, he set the deadlift world record in the 220-pound class at 814. He’s totaled 2,127 pounds in competition, including a 540 bench press and 826 squat. And in 2009, he defeated Ben White to win the inaugural World’s Strongest Bodybuilder. Maybe the 5'5" Jackson’s most impressive lift, captured on video, is side laterals for 10 reps with 100-pound dumbbells—more than most guys can press —and when weighing only 230. Jackson rivals Franco Columbu as the strongest “light” bodybuilder of all time.
JOHNNIE JACKSON'S BACK WORKOUT
- 1. Deadlifts: 4 sets of 10-5 reps
- 2. Front pulldowns: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
- 3. One-arm dumbbell rows: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- 4. Machine t-bar rows: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
- 5. Seated cable rows: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
- 6. Chinups: 3 sets of 10-15 reps
Check back tomorrow for another workout from the 10 Strongest Bodybuilders!