Dorian "The Shadow" Yates' lats hung low and stretched wide as if to form a perfect (huge) square, and their inner, lower drape framed a prominent lumbar Christmas tree, but the quality that most distinguished his back was its unparalleled thickness.
He sported football-sized slabs of inner traps, spinal erectors that resembled Doric columns and lats so dense their depth was a winning advantage even in front shots. All were visual manifestations of Yates’ high-intensity workouts.
Now you can try Dorian's legendary back workout for yourself. The exercises, sets, and reps are here, but you've got to bring the HARDCORE...
DORIAN YATES' BACK WORKOUT
- 1. Hammer Strength pulldowns: 1 set of 8-10 reps
- or Nautilus pullovers: 1 set of 8-10 reps
- 2. Underhand barbell rows: 1 set of 8-10 reps
- 3. Hammer Strength one-arm rows: 1 set of 8-10 reps
- 4. Seated cable rows: 1 set of 8-10 reps
- 5. Back extensions: 1 set of 10-12 reps
- 6. Deadlifts: 1 set of 8 reps
- Notes: These working sets were usually preceded by one or two warm-up sets. Yates trained rear delts between seated cable rows for his upper back and back extensions for his lower back.