Dorian "The Shadow" Yates' lats hung low and stretched wide as if to form a perfect (huge) square, and their inner, lower drape framed a prominent lumbar Christmas tree, but the quality that most distinguished his back was its unparalleled thickness.
He sported football-sized slabs of inner traps, spinal erectors that resembled Doric columns and lats so dense their depth was a winning advantage even in front shots. All were visual manifestations of Yates’ high-intensity workouts.
Now you can try Dorian's legendary back workout for yourself. The exercises, sets, and reps are here, but you've got to bring the HARDCORE...
DORIAN YATES' BACK WORKOUT
- Hammer Strength Pulldowns | SETS: 1 | REPS: 8-10
- or Nautilus Pullovers | SETS: 1 | REPS: 8-10
- Underhand Barbell Rows | SETS: 1 | REPS: 8-10
- Hammer Strength One-Arm Rows | SETS: 1 | REPS: 8-10
- Seated Cable Rows | SETS: 1 | REPS: 8-10
- Back Extensions | SETS: 1 | REPS: 10-12
- Deadlifts | SETS: 1 | REPS: 8
Notes: These working sets were usually preceded by one or two warm-up sets. Yates trained rear delts between seated cable rows for his upper back and back extensions for his lower back.