Unlike the others on our list, Stan Efferding is better known as a powerlifter than a bodybuilder. That’s why it may surprise you that he did his first physique contest way back in 1988, eight years before his initial powerlifting meet. But in that meet, Rhino broke the vaulted 2,000-pound total mark and deadlifted 782 raw.
After nine years away from competitions, he returned to both sports in his 40s. And it was then that he truly excelled. He won the 2009 NPC Masters title, securing IFBB pro status, and landed in single digits (ninth) in the 2011 FLEX Pro.
Meanwhile, he established himself as the premier raw powerlifter in the world. Uniquely strong in all three lifts, his official raw powerlifting marks include a 606 bench press, an 865 squat, and an 837 deadlift. Earlier this year, he compiled 2,227, breaking the 275-pound raw powerlifting total record which had stood for 41 years. Oh, and three years ago, Efferding won the Olympia World’s Strongest Bodybuilder—just in case there was any doubt.
STAN EFFERDING'S CHEST WORKOUT
- 1. Bench press (warm-up): 4 sets of 3-5 reps (135, 225, 315, 405lbs)
- 2. Bench press: 2 sets - 3 reps of 495lbs, 1 rep of 545lbs
- 3. Incline dumbbell press: 2 sets of 6-10 reps with 200lbs
- 4. Dips: 2 sets of 14-20 reps with 100 pounds*
- *Drop sets with 6-8 reps weighted and the remainder unweighted.