Mr. Calves talks all about calving.
November 10, 2009
On September 12, twenty-six-year-old Welshman James “Flex” Lewis won the 2009 Atlantic City Pro 202. Because his calves are so phenomenal, he frequently lays off training them now to bring the rest of his body in balance, but he gives us his favorite routine and shares the straight dope on how anyone can calve-up.
LEWIS’ CALF CLASS
* Stretch your lower legs fully before each set.
* Do super-sets, tri-sets or giant sets to maximize the pump. I typically do the exercises in the included routine as a tri-set and sometimes do other rotations of calf exercises without rest.
* Perform reps quickly. Weight is not really a factor. The goal is to keep the blood flowing through the calf muscles.
* Train calves twice per week.
* Do not end your calf routine until your lower legs are fully pumped. I often do quick no-weight raises to finish off my calves.
LEWIS’ CALF ROUTINE
|Leg press calf raises||4||25-35|
|Seated calf raises||4||25-35|
|Standing calf raises||3||25-35|